This post is for the Strategic Engagement Fellow position. To view the post for the Portfolio Management Fellow position, click here.
DC Social Innovation Project, Inc. (DCSIP) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that invests in innovative community programs led by passionate, informed citizens. Through a competitive application process, DCSIP selects four programs annually and provides seed funding and robust pro bono consulting and incubation services to help the programs launch or grow. These programs tackle issues in the areas of health, economic opportunity, and youth & education — with the goal of improving the lives of DC’s low-income and vulnerable residents.
The Strategic Engagement Fellow will lead DCSIP’s efforts to engage the public in our work and communicate our impact.
Tasks will include:
- Implement and manage content development system and calendar to provide frequent, compelling written and visual media for DCSIP’s blog (2 posts/week), email newsletter (monthly), print newsletter (quarterly), and social media channels (daily)
- Manage the collection and creation of content to highlight DCSIP’s and grantees’ work — work with grantees and volunteers to find stories and media related to their work
- Set goals for social media channels (number of followers, interactions, etc.) and monitor progress toward goal
- Plan and coordinate events (monthly) that engage the community and stakeholders in our work
- Manage Community Investor giving program – recruit and engage individuals to give $10+/month
- Manage sponsorship efforts – engage and secure firms, businesses, and individuals to sponsor grants, events, and other activities
- Lead the planning and execution of fundraising events and other special events
- Represent DCSIP at community events from time-to-time
- Secure media coverage for DCSIP’s events, special stories, and grantees; maintain and grow media contact list and engage media outlets
This is a virtual/telework position, however you must be located in the Washington, DC area as there will be in-person meetings and activities (which will frequently occur in the evenings, occasionally on weekends). It is anticipated that this position will require approximately 10 hours per week; this may increase as funding, workflow, and scheduling permits. You must be able to commit to at least four consecutive months starting in June. Compensation will be up to $350/month, which may increase based on funding and performance. Other benefits include opportunities for professional development (conferences, trainings, publishing, speaking, etc.); networking with partners, donors, and board members; and the opportunity to help shape a growing social venture.
- Exceptional writing skills in both formal writing and writing for blogs and social media
- Comfort and familiarity with online tools and software such as Google Apps for Business, Hootsuite, WordPress (blog and web development tools), and Mailchimp
- Strong attention to detail and a propensity to plan ahead and anticipate potential roadblocks and develop alternative strategies
- Resourcefulness and “can do” attitude — seeing challenges as an opportunity to be innovative or creative
- Self-motivated and able to work without constant supervision
- Professionalism and humility — able to engage and connect positively with senior leaders and with community members
Additional preferred skills
- Design skills and knowledge of relevant software such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience engaging media outlets and securing coverage
- Experience increasing web traffic and social media followers
To apply, send a resume and writing sample (letter, blog post, report, article, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Strategic Engagement Fellow” in the subject line and attach all files as PDFs. In the body of your email, please specifically detail your qualifications and skills (you can write these in narrative form or in bullet points). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; applying early is encouraged. Anticipated start date is early-June.